Wednesday, April 7, 2010

How to Look Like a Dragon!

Ok, yesterday I wrote a review on How to Train Your Dragon, and now I have a wonderful tutorial on the makeup I wore to the movie!

To reference this makeup idea, I was a big fan of the Disney Classic Sleeping Beauty and I was always mystified by the way Maleficent was always featured in Purple and Black, and for quite some time, I spent the majority of my High School years emulating that style idea! I loved the idea of wearing purple and Black, and I loved the idea of using purple as a highlighting color, just the same way they used it for Maleficent! She was and probably is, the most evil character that Disney has ever produced, and I will always prefer her over the princesses...that's just me though!



~The Bad Ass fairy and her Bad Ass Style



~Her Awesome black and purple dragon manifestation!



~More of her awesomeness



~NOOOOOOOO!


Now, when I set out to think of a makeup idea for this movie, I went straight to Maleficent's Dragon. This was a bad ass dragon who did great evil things, and she was also a bad ass fairy! So off I went to my makeup box filled with Sephora, Urban Decay and Lime Crime Goodies, and I started messing with the whole of my box until I found the perfect color combination, and came out with this:




~Soooo Bad ass like Maleficent!


Makeup Used:


Eyes: Urban Decay Primer Potion, Lime Crime's Magic Eye Dusts in Empress and Medusa, Hot Topic Eye Liner in Black

Lips: Lime Crime's Lipstick in Airborne Unicorn and Styletto, and Urban Decay's XXL Shine Lip Gloss

Face: Urban Decay Face Primer, Mac Cream concealer, Urban Decay's Cream to Powder Foundation in Dream, Loreal's True Match Powder and Blush, and Urban Decay's Blotting Powder









EYES

Take a wet MAC 239 and pack on Empress (a rich royal purple) from your inner eye to a bit beyond the middle of your eye. Pack on tight to create a rich purple color, because the black is gonna blend into it, so make sure that your brush is wet to get a richer color! Next take the same brush and dab it wet with Medusa (a blackened blue color) and from the middle, cover over a bit of Empress and wing out onto your face for a cat eyed (or dragon eyed if you will) feel. Take a MAC 228 and gently grab some more Empress and blend the line you created with Empress and Medusa gently blend into the Medusa so it looks as if your fading the purple into the black. I also use this same brush to bring the Medusa into my crease, blending lightly into my inner corner of my eye. Once finished, I gently touch up the areas around Medusa so it looks streamlined, I use a nude (skin colored) eye shadow and my MAC 228 brush and just lightly touch up the areas that I want shaped into the Dragon Eye. From there, I still use the 228 and I pat on more Empress so the color can pop more. Don't over do it, you just want to brighten the color. I then put a thin line of black eyeliner on upper and lower lids, and a coat of mascara and I have my Dragon eyes.


FACE
I prime my face with foundation primer from Urban Decay, and start concealing, because I have dark blue circles under my eyes and Medusa pops it out. From there I apply my Cream to Powder foundation, and apply blush, I try to keep my face neutral so its not distracting from the eye shadow.


LIPS
With my lips, I line them with a shade of lilac pencil I got in this kit for Christmas (those kits from Walmart!) and put on Airborne Unicorn. With a lip brush, I apply Syletto to my lower lip dabbing the black into the purple, then I mix the color, until I get a dark purple color (didn't show in the picture but you get the idea). There I applied my UD XXL Shine lip gloss to contain the color!



And Viola! You now look like a dragon reminiscent of Maleficent herself.




My outfit consisted of Dark Wash Skinny Jeans, a Mystic Spiral Trent Lane shirt I had received for Christmas from Hot Topic, a Dark fuchsia tank top underneath, and some boots from Hot Topic!




Mystic Spiral is so dragon! I love them!




Much Love,




The Oracle of Dreams

No comments:

Post a Comment