Monday, March 8, 2010

Alice in Wonderland and the Red Queen Makeup!

I know I haven't been updating lately and I truly apologize, I was going to start making this blog about movies, my reviews and my costumes I wore to the occasion! Sad part of this is, I'm hurting a bit from the lack of money right now because I have reduced hours at HobbyLobby, and subbing has not been that lucrative. Basically, I lost my inspiration. I felt that in order to produce quality images of my costumes, I needed a better camera. Well, I was going to purchase one at the beginning of this month, but when funds started drying up, I realized that I really can't purchase it, till I'm able to pay off several bills. Oh well. I did see Shutter Island when it came out, and I'll write a review on the movie later with what I wore to the film and better pictures.

Ok, on now to the movie of the week, Alice in Wonderland!



I went with my sister and boyfriend to see Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland. I've been a Tim Burton fan for as long as I could remember, when my mother took me to see Edward Scissor Hands a long time ago. I was hooked. Black and White were my staple colors, due to his themes of Heroes living in a Black and White world, while the dream, the better life was always in bold pastels. I loved his world, and my love for him grew even further with his well written masterpiece A Nightmare Before Christmas. I own almost all of his movies, even the Batman's, I love this director, and was not disappointed when I saw Alice in Wonderland.

First and foremost, this is not the original Alice, this is a story that takes place after Alice's first visit, memorialized in the Original Disney classic. But where the books and the First movie took place, Mr. Burton took the movie to a whole new level, and based mostly on a blend of the second book with bits and pieces of the first.

For those who are not familiar with Through the Looking Glass, this was Alice's second visit to Wonderland, where she walks into the world through a mirror and come across chess pieces who are about to play a game of chess. The White Queen is distraught, because she feels her daughter Lily is too young to be in the game, so she employs Alice to be a pawn, and directs Alice to move on the giant checkerboard. There she meets Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum, The White Knight, Humpty Dumpty among others where she realizes that the Whites have won the Game. There she's invited to a dinner party where she was made Queen Alice, and wakes up back in her study.

True to Tim Burton fashion, Alice is now 18, still mischievous, with little regard to wearing a corset nor stockings. Her world is literally made of gray, where she's the only person ready to stand out in blue. When she follows the white rabbit down the rabbit hole, the whole of Wonderland is bright colorful and vibrant, much happier than her drab Victorian world. There, this story takes a different turn, making it into something that even I wasn't expecting. Being an avid Alice in Wonderland fan, I spent much of my time reading these two books when I was younger, only to be astounded at the direction Tim Burton took to make this movie. The characters were amazing, the voice actors astounding, and if I could see it in 3D I would, but as of now, I'm unable to. I do recommend this to all who love the Alice series, avid movie goers, and children of all ages, this is one movie that you just seem to enjoy over and over again!

On to my costume. I spent hours upon hours at school, HobbyLobby and in my free time, deciding on what I should wear to this premier. Even though I could have seen the midnight showing, I would have gone alone and been bored all night! So, I wanted to keep this simple, but with time constraints, my idea of wearing a skirt was put out of my mind due to the fact that my legs were deemed too unsightly due to the long winter months of pant wearing! So, I went with simple, wearing a top I purchased from Cindie's, curled my hair, and some skinny jeans with boots from Hot Topic.

~Top by Lolita-Girl Clothing, Beads from Mardis Gras,
Tiara from Hobby Lobby


Makeup
Eyes:
Lime Crime's Siren, Mirror Mirror and Fairy Wings Magic Dusts, Black Eye/Lip liner by Hot Topic, Fake Eyelashes purchased from a Halloween Store (it has purple tinsel on it!!!), and Urban Decay's Liquid Liner in Perversion
Lips: Lime Crime's Centrifuchsia Lipstick, Fairy Wings Magic Dust, Hot Topic Lip Eye/Lip liner in Magenta
Face: Lime Crime's Siren and Fairy Wings Magic Dusts, and Hot Topic Eye/Lip liner in Black

First, I started off with a good layer of Urban Decay's Primer Potion. Then I took Urban Decay's Liquid Liner and applied a thin line right on top of my eyes. Then applied the fake eyelashes on, due to the fact that I'm a bit messy applying these things on, and its easier in the long run for me to apply them first! After you have your eyelashes situated, I then applied Siren with a MAC 239 brush, wet the brush a bit, and patted on the color (there will be some fall off so be prepared and its okay to cover the black liner, its use was with the application of the false eyelashes). Pat the color into the crease without going over, and into the inner and outer corners following the shape of your eye. If you need to use a smaller brush for the inner and outer corners of your Eye I recommend the MAC 213 Pencil brush for that job! Then with a MAC 228 or your finger, I applied a sheer layer of Fairy Wings on the brow bone and into the crease. With the same brush, I then blended the two colors together, bringing just a hint of Siren above the crease onto the brow bone. Not TOO much just a small hint of that dark color. Then with a MAC 269 or any large angled brush, wet, I applied a layer of Mirror Mirror as my eye liner
. I did a double line for a good thick look, and did the same with the lower eyelash line. In hard to reach corners, I used a MAC 208 or any small (teeny tiny) angled brush to bring the color all the way around.

~Yay for fun angled shots, and YAY for purple Tinseled Eyelashes!

Not shown are my lips, I had a decent picture and then deleted it due to my intelligence level and bad karma! Anyway, I made a pouty face by taking my Magenta Lip liner and at the widest part of my bottom lip, I made a line that winged out but did not follow my natural lip line. In essence I made my bottom lip smaller and did the same on the other side of my lip. On the Top lip I matched where the bottom lip line would meet the top and again winged the lip line downward, making my top lip smaller, and a pouty face. I then filled in with my Centrifuchsia lipstick! Once applied, I took my concealer brush and some foundation, and covered my natural un-colored lips to make it look like my lips pouted that way! and covered with powder. Then I took my finger and dabbed it into my Fairy Wings Magic dust and dabbed a bit of the dust onto the lips for a pinkier bright neon look (I have a medium complexion so it comes off neon pink on me).

~I tried to recreate the pouty style, but didn't succeed
the second time, so here's a look at the bright pinky color!


On my face you will notice that I have a heart, and on the other side I have a diamond. First and foremost, put on your concealer and foundation first before putting on the hearts and diamonds! Once finished with that, pat on a thin layer of Primer Potion (thankfully it dries sheer to non existent!) and with a SHARPENED eye pencil, or a gel liner shaped like a pen, draw on your heart and diamond. Practice makes perfect, so be sure you like your shape, if not, take a small sponge or cotton ball of makeup remover, remove the section your are coloring, reapply concealer and foundation and primer, and start again! Be careful, because you can reapply a whole side of makeup if you mess it up! Once you're happy with the shape, take a very small brush, I used MAC 228 and 213 and colored in the heart and the diamond with siren, and in the middle added a hint of Fairy Wings! Once finished, apply powder and a hint of blush on your apples of your cheek and avoid smearing your new heart and diamond! I was going to add a Spade and Club and color with Mirror Mirror but my face was getting crowded, so I decided against it. Try it and see, may be you'll like it!

Do your hair as you please, and make sure you add your tiara, or you won't look queenly for the impromptu unbirthday tea party!

With warmest regards, and be sure to keep your heads!

The Oracle of Dreams

1 comment:

  1. I love the make-up turorial, its sooo cute :) It def represents the Red Queen <3

    Much love,
    Glendy

    ReplyDelete